Amaranth grain

Anyone working on amaranth grain? I recently read an article that said that all three of the amaranth species grown for grain cross at a rate of about 10%. That’s high enough to make it interesting, at least for me.
I can buy grain from whole food stores and at least two Australian seed companies offer a grain amaranth, one of which I’m hoping to harvest before frost.
I’ve also been able to buy two ornamental amaranths, Coral Fountain and Hot Biscuits which are Amaranthus cruentus so fine for grain. I’ll grow these and others together next season as a start.

2 Likes

I’m not actively working on amaranth, but I have grown it and will have a small block (10 plants) this year. For planting this year I have “Golden Giant” (A. hypochondriacus) and “Sunset Goldilocks” (likely the same species). A couple of years ago I grew Golden Giant and it set seed well. It did not get giant, with most plants between 3-4 ft (90 - 120cm). The height was not an issue for me but would be if I was planting out where the deer could get to it. In that case, I would prefer the seed heads out of reach.

We grew Loves Lies Bleeding and Hot Biscuits in summer 22, but mainly just for ornament. Had bad rabbit pressure but they rebounded well. The main problem was that I dropped the ball on harvesting seed before the rains set in. Oops.

This year, we are growing out two varieties with grain in mind: Golden Giant and Elena’s Rojo. We’re gonna plant them tight to try to maximize chance of crossing, and go from there. Probably growing out 50-60 plants. Hoping these will serve as a good base to expand from.

Hope you keep us posted on your plantings.

1 Like

This may be helpful for anyone trying to Landrace Amaranthus species. Amaranthus austrailus can become a Tree, belongs to Acnida subgenus but can’t breed with anything based on Phylogenic trees. Anybody know of Amaranthus palmeri and Amaranthus hybridus can cross?

I did variety trials years ago of over a dozen strains. You are welcome to seed from my two best varieties. I see very low rates of natural hybridisation. FInding this crop is tricky to get started- needs a particular soil type I dont often have.

1 Like

Interesting! I would be very thankful to acquire your best strains. Also about the particular soil type you don’t have, could it be that your soil has improved beyond what amaranths like? Amaranths are early succession type plants and thrive of disturbed soils (Could they be landraced to trhive on good soils tho?)

Anyways I’ve been doing Research on Amaranthus Phylogenics and Hybridization between species. Here’s all the Combinations that work.
A. hybridus x (Entire Hybridus Complex & Subgenus Amaranthus is Cross compatible)
A. hybridus x A. tuberculatus is Cross Compatible only to transfer genes to A. tuberculataus. Reciprocal cross no work.
A. hybridus x A. palmeri x A. spinosus are all Cross Compatible with each other.
A. palmeri has strong hybridization barriers with A. tuberculatus. (Meaning Hybridus complex becomes Bridge Species to transfer A. palmeri genes to A. tuberculatus).

I’m sure if we can create a hybrid swarm Subgenus amaranthus and Subgenus Acnida will eventually become one right? because I was hoping to hybridize Tree-Trunk Amaranth (Amaranthus australis) with all the Hybridus complex. Imagine creating delicious fast growing Tree Trunk Amaranths!?

Also I’ve learned Amaranthus is promiscuous and that apparently subgenus classification isn’t strongly supported by Evolutionary History? Subgenus albersia is Monophyletic (Meaning probably less likey to hybridize outside the subgenus).

Also Flower/Pollen Physics play Big role in Hybridization, shaking amaranth plants next to each other is an easy way to get hybrids. Have you Tried this?

These 3 Links explained so much EPIC INFO on Hybridizing Amaranthus!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00204.x
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326145994_A_Phylogeny_of_the_Genus_Amaranthus_Amaranthaceae_Based_on_Several_Low-Copy_Nuclear_Loci_and_Chloroplast_Regions

Can you provide any useful info/Lessons you’ve learned about Landracing Amaranthus?

1 Like

My best producing grain strains are Hartman’s giant and Oscar Blanco. Happy to post you seed, just message me your details. Performance might vary for you but these two were stand outs from the ~2 dozen named varieties I have trialed over the years.

My soil geology doesnt seem to favor amaranth in general. Weedy amaranths are very rare on unimproved ground. I have a high Mg/low Ca soil which seems to disfavor a lot of species (I can’t grow Opuntia or Moringa at all for example despite the climate being ideal). Grain amaranth sometimes grows well on enriched soil (especially if ash/charcoal are applied). Establishment varies year to year, so I dont think I can ever use it as a major staple crop, but the small seed complement nicely with other crops like maize.

I have observed very few spontaneous hybrids between varieties grown together. I haven’t tried any techniques to enhance outcrossing, but will try in the future. I suspect a grex of my two best varieties might yield some greater tolerance for my peculiar soil, but I wouldnt expect the genus to be completely transformed.

Amaranth’s australis is amazing! I would love to try that species one day and see how it goes (especially since I have low seasonally boggy ground that it might enjoy). Hybridising it with grain amaranth strains and back crossing to them could be interesting (assuming they are compatible). Some intergeneric hybridisation with Celosia could be worth trying as well. This species is a perennial shrub for me, produces abundant seed but they have only been used for oil extraction in the past, which suggests some significant water soluble toxins might be present.

2 Likes

Intergeneric Hybridization with Celosia!? yo that’s epic! I haven’t even begun to study Celosia yet. What about Amaranth for the greens? The greens alone are worth cultivation in my Opinion. I think the reason you witnessed few spontaneous hybrids is because the Amranths you were likely growing were Hybridus complex species, which self pollinate more often than cross because the male & female flowers are right next to each other.

Also with your Mg/low Ca Soils, you might be able to fix that with effective microbes (EM, and those other permaculture methods I don’t yet fully understand). In other words Biology/Nature may help you here. It’s interesting you point out that Grain Amaranth preforms well in Enriched soils with ash/charcoal. hmm maybe Grain Amaranth was landraced to grow on good soils but I know plenty of wild amaranths that when soil improves they go away (Something with the Bacteria/Fungal Balance that selects against Amaranths because it’s a succession genus, opposite end of old growth forrest.)

I’ve eaten various amaranth greens and I think they are revolting. Weird papery texture, high oxalate. Not my thing at all. Celosia tips are delicious by comparison (but still high in oxalate). Much longer picking season as well.

Celosia x Amaranthus probably wont work (chromosome numbers are off, but that is never a guarantee it wont work), but I will give it a try.

A lot of self pollinating crops produce enough spontaneous hybrids to be useful. I’ve seen a couple and kept the seed separate, but havent bothered growing it out yet (since this was from the early days of wide variety trials when most of my strains were not especially high performing).

I don’t think amaranth will ever be a major crop here. I started growing chia as a competitor and it does so much better on unimproved soil. I believe these small seeded grain crops work best as lightly scattered opportunistic crops sown in among major crops like maize, to fill in gaps wherever they find conditions to their liking. I don’t believe the words “good and bad” can be applied to soil any more since every plant species has its own preferences and weaknesses in this regard.

1 Like

I’m trying to grow some cultivars for grain but not having much success there. Not sure why. Perhaps I need to sow saved seed for a few generations to adapt.

Do you have weedy amaranth species growing well? That should be a reliable indicator if your conditions suit the genus. I only get a couple, usually on the edge of burn piles. Doesnt apply to the whole family since Celosia and now the right strain of Chenopodium is doing well.

1 Like

We do have a weedy amaranth and while it’s not everywhere, wherever it does grow it does well. In fact, it’s growing in the bed next to my grain amaranth, though not for much longer.

Did you eat them raw, cuz I would agree with you there. Amaranth greens are meant to be cooked, boiled or stirfried. Often they are used in place of spinach for Cooked appliacations. Cooking also reduces oxalates.

Hmm Celosia tips are probably better for fresh eating tho. Young-Fast growing parts/Shoots of any plants are also the best portion of the plant. Are Celosia fully mature leaves any good? and what about after cooking them?

Are farmers where you live dealing with Amaranth as a weed tho? In the US Amaranrthus palmeri, Amaranthus tuberculatus and Amaranthus retroflexus are major weeds that farmers spray with glyphosate to kill (Farmers Unintentionnally “Landraced” their Amaranth weeds to become Gyphosate resistant. Because Nature always overcomes any obstacle). Try sourcing seed from weedy amranths in your area, or from farmers with similar soils to yours.

That’s very interesting, I’ve been wondering are Chia Greens/Young Shoots edible or are they more of a nice nibble & soup Flavorings (Similar to Sage)?

You are right, to specify & Simplify Good soils = Late Succession, Bad Soils = Early Succession. Test your soils to see if they are Bacteria or Fungal Dominant. The answere can tell/point you towards how to fix your soils (If that’s what the plants you are landracing requires).

Wait, so you aren’t going to let them cross? also have you tried tasting the greens of both to see which one is better?

I’ve eaten the weedy amaranth greens. They are only palatable when the plant is quite young, otherwise they are unpleasantly fibrous. Besides, my interest in amaranth isn’t strong enough to warrant much time spent on it. I’ll grow some grain amaranths together. As long as I can harvest a decent amount of grain for the space and effort required, that will do.

I’ve got some European Amaranth growing from Real Seeds in the UK. I’m about to pack them into the Serendipity seed swap europe.

It says this on the website.

plant picture

‘Mixed Grain Amaranths’

These make up to 200,000 seed per plant, are very easy to thresh. The seeds don’t need grinding - you just add them to whatever you are cooking.

This is our own special mixed population bred from our trials - we have been working on this for about 20 years now. It produces early, and gives a good yield of seed that is easily threshed.

Very filling and nutritious, we add it to rice when cooking, it adds both flavour and protein. Simple harvesting instructions supplied.

Start from late April in pots as though tomatoes, & plant out when bigger - they are very robust once six inches tall and romp away even in cool weather.

3-4ft tall mix. Spectacular red - pink - yellow flowers. High-yielding and early.

It comes from this website.

This is how they thresh them

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/amaranthprocessing.html

I’ve not even got around to using them, shame really. But their looks are good.

2 Likes

Awesome, Based on the Photo, your’s look like they belong the Amaranthus hybridus complex (Because of the Fruit Cluster Bend, and because All Grain Amaranths do).
Besides the Grains, how did the leaves taste when cooked? Were they similar to Spinach or better? I feel they would great on Pizza or mixed with Rice and Amaranth Seeds.

Awesome! That’s Respects the K.I.S.S Principals (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Is that for Raw Taste or After leaves have been cooked? Also what about the Young Fast Growing Shoots? From your experience are they similar to Lambsquaters or Quinoa Greens (Chenopodium Spp.)?

Not really fond of it’s taste raw, but i’ll force myself next season to be more serious about it, because it does grow when my spinach is not there. Ah yeah, that’s it, in summer i’m gorging on red mountain spinach which grows just as easy.
B…b…but i’ll give you a report coming season. Sorry. Hate being a bummer.

Here is the biggest european catalogue of amaranths I know of: Deaflora - Amaranth
It’s in german. 26 varieties. Some pop-amaranths too.
Personnally I have been cultivating a few strains from Kokopelli since 2020: all giants. I know how to thresh them (it’s easy) but don’t know much about cooking. I use them more as cover crop, as easy to germinate as buckwheat. It grows fast, particularly if the soil is disturbed. Supposed to be very nitrogen dependent - which tilling brings, by destroying the organo-mineral complex. I use a giant chenopodium for same purposes, know to be a similar bio-indicator. Still have 3 to 4 kilos in stock. Two small packets went into the EU seed swap.

2 Likes