Arachis

what is the GENcenter? I’ve never heard of this seed source, but I’m curious if they specialize in tropical crops.

1 Like

Gen center is a contraction I just invented for Center for Genetic Resources. We have several of those in france, and one of their missions is to keep seeds and make them available for individuals and professionals (only french I guess) . They send very small quantities but enough to test.

state of germination day 15th . Sowed shelled.

I will try unshelled now .

Just for the record, these seeds are from the genetic center GAMéT (Grain Adapted to Mediterranean and Tropical climates) .

Those I soaked and sowed from a grocery purchase never sprouted. they inflated, and then rotted.

1 Like

Yeah, the same thing happened to me with grocery store peanuts. I wonder if they were too old?

That’s very cool your germplasm is open to home and individual use of their resources.

Seed increasing is very important when working with small quantities of seed so doing whatever you have to do to get them to produce is great. I worked with like 10 different peanut varieties last year from different sources and direct seeded which was a disaster because our moles ate most of the seeds as they were sprouting. I switched to seeding them in cells and transplanting which worked better.

What color are the peanuts from GAMéT?

Ooh, which were your favorite peanut varieties that you grew?

Were they raw?

I found a single peanut in my seed stash and it’s now keeping one of my chestnut trees happy. Since that one worked so well I bought raw peanuts from the store and shoved them down in the mulch around the rest of my trees.

I hope they work for you!

So far, I’ve gotten no germination from store-bought raw peanuts, but I keep on trying and hoping.

I never bought peanuts from a seed company, so it had to be purchased at the store. If I get 1 peanut, I have 1 to plant next year!

Hey, that’s great news! Yes, indeed! I completely agree!

I’ve never tried planting grocery store peanuts, but I have seen them sold as “raw”. I think if that is how they are labeled they might be OK to plant. Otherwise, I suspect they are likely roasted and or salted. Even if raw, I imagine they need to be fresh, if they are super dry and perhaps even a bit dusty in the bags, they are probably dead.

The one I planted this spring was at least a couple years old. I hadn’t added much to my seed stash since 2021, so it was before that.

It was still firm, looked like a peanut.

@Lowell_McCampbell , the colour is what I would call “normal” like yellowish? I did not know various colours existed ?
I agree with you that this year, my goal is to get them to mulitply . So I will not cultivate them the hard way yet, especially since several of you mentioned predation on the seeds or sproutings !

@MarkReed come on, I did not try to grow roasted peanuts :wink: The ones I purchased in a grocery store and did not grow were labelled “raw” . But maybe too old.

1 Like

There are lots of colours!! I had some white ones from Argentina at one point, and some striped ones, but now my mix is mostly purple and red and brown. There are quite a few options in our smaller seed companies in the US.

@UnicornEmily I really wanted the white ones from Argentina to do well for me but they all just got hammered by the moles, deer, and rabbits. None survived. I think I have mostly purple and reds in the mix now simply because they were the most abundant in the mix I started with.

Whoa, that’s so cool! I had no idea there were that many colors of peanuts!

Grocery store peanut is sprouting.

3 Likes

Well, that’s exciting! I hope it lives and is prodigiously productive for you!

just started planting half of my first young arachis in the garden. this is one month after sowing them shelled… Will plant some in the production greenhouse in order to test higher temperatures and protect against end of summer rain just in case. germination time ranged between 15 and 25 days.
the second trial, sowed unshelled 2 weeks later (I sowed the second batch just after seing the first germination) has germinated quicker, on day 7 and will soon be ready for planting, too.

first arachis flower ! 50 days after sowing . this one is in the greenhouse. those outside seem to grow slower.

2 Likes

It looks great! :smiley: