Canning for long-term storage

I’m just doing a dump of some of my favourite canning recipes here. I’ve been erratically recording my preservation adventures at https://urbandryad.dreamwidth.org/ so this is a number of years of experimenting.

Minnesota mix, a bit nicer than just canned tomatoes for a lot of things, I use hot peppers and it comes out more like Rotel, contains celery, peppers, onion, and tomatoes, pressure canned:

Giardiniera: 1 part cauliflower, 1 part sweet hot peppers, 1/2 part green hot peppers, 1 part green beans, 1 part carrots, 1/4 part celery (including leaves) all cut into bite-sized pieces
Brine mix: Giardiniera hungarian pepper: 1:1 vinegar:water plus 1/3 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar into 3.5L brine (one pot), into each 500ml jar add 2 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 1 clove garlic then boiling brine.
Water bath 15 minutes

Pickled eggplant, waterbath, it’s fiddly to put together but disappears a tremendous amount of eggplant into jars, and if you dump 1/3 jar of this stuff into a pan of rice and meat/tofu/veg you have a meal without any other seasoning. It’s also tremendous on shawarma. Pickled Eggplant - Healthy Canning

Pickled marinaded peppers, good as a snack or meal with cheese and bread. I swear I do all this canning so I can just sit back and eat with no effort later. Mix in hot peppers if they’re your thing: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

My favourite salsa recipe, and I’ve tried a lot. It seems fiddly with the oven nonsense, but it’s actually a really easy way to peel tomatoes (not as easy as the freeze’n’slip method, but still). This is the only salsa I do now? Until someone shares another good recipe? Salsa Ranchera - Healthy Canning

“The jalapenos are pretty spicy, so I pickled them cut with carrots in my zesty pickle brine: 1/3 jalapenos and 2/3 carrots, hot packed in the brine consisting of 1L vinegar, 1L water, 1/3 cup (coarse) salt, 1/2 cup sugar. I pressure-canned it quickly, but water bathing would have been better.”

1 Like