Considerations for Landrace Cowpea Development

So since chateau rouge was not an option today, with the french strike, I went shopping in a nearby african minimarket and I got three different cowpeas, one I am not so sure is is cowpea.

the last one is the one I have doubts about
advice ?

1 Like

Last one discussed here but the first one looks to my inexpert eye like it might be pigeon pea! Perhaps a pigeon pea grower can rule that out

update on my cowpeas : only one variety germinated , in the greenhouse so I direct sowed some in various places in my garden (under woodchip mulch, under hay mulch .
I was curious to see this plant for the first time. Growth seemed OK, but flowers arrived very late in the season , probabely due low temperatures in july
now I have some nice pods under development, and I cross fingers that the weather will allow them to finish the cycle.

1 Like

Looking good. Don’t forget that the whole cowpea plant is edible. So if you don’t get reliable pods you can always grow it for the greens. Young shoots, pea pods, and leaves of a cowpea plant are all edible.

For the moment I try to get mature seeds so I will not take the risk of eating the plant itself. But thank you for the information, I was wondering if the pods were good to eat fresh, I have the answer . Good to know for the future. thanks

a picture of my cowpeas today. maturation in progress.

When do you harvest for mature seeds ?

1 Like

If your climate is suitable (no frost and not too rainy) in the fall, when the pods are completely dry. If not, when the shells are yellow and “thin” (as opposed to fleshy), then hang them to dry inside.

If bad weather threatens, you can harvest pods as soon as they go limp. Shell the beans and spread them out to dry. At this point the seeds are mature enough to grow next season. Alternatively, if you have the space, cut the entire plant and hang them somewhere sheltered to dry. But as Beth described, they are best left to dry down before harvest.
I often find I have to harvest in stages because of rain.

Yes. Since heavy rain is expected on tuesday, I took a tour of all the plants and picked whatever seemed dry or limp, shelled them and put them to finish drying.
I will go back tomorrow and perhaps cut one or two complete plants.
thanks for the advice, Beth and Ray

Yes, the first one looks like a pigeon pea, Cajanus cajan

1 Like