Cucumbers

Cucumber grex F0

2022-07-14T07:00:00Z
Some pics of my initial cucumber harvest. I will probably make these seeds available to the local community.

and the seed processing

I just planted everything I had in the fridge, and whatever I could buy in Bendigo that weekend.
Mid-east Peace, originally from Adaptive
Pickling Gerkin (Fothergills)
Richmond Green Apple (Foth.)
Lebanese (Foth.)
White Spine (Greenpatch)
German Pickling (GP)
Bushy (Lost Seed Co)
Straight Eight (LSC)
Telegraph Improved(Foth)
maybe Burpless F1 (Foth.) but i usually avoid F1s so im not sure, but the packet is open :slight_smile:
generic Apple Cucumber
Mini White - supplier unknown but it might have been Rowan

I mixed a big pinch of everything in a bowl, then sowed 3 seeds into each hole, at about 40 cm spacings, 2 rows or 3 rows to the 100cm bed, on dripper tube, and left to their own devices. I didn’t thin them or anything. I did buy some seedlings as well, but i can’t remember if they went into the grex plot, or the kitchen garden.

A quick superficial search of the literature indicated I might like to include some varieties from India, since genetic tests suggest they are genetically distinct, while everything else is more inbred. Sourcing them could be problematic.

1 Like

Thomas P
two ideas: for the indian part you could look for Sikkim and from Bhutan the Gagon variety. both look very different from the other cucumbers I know. photos to come

Sikkim and Gagon can be used raw or cooked, even fully ripe. I will have to confirm this this season but I understand also that you can store both of them for a while. So I’ve isolated both of them in one part of my garden to make a cross of storage cucumbers, apart from the normal grex.

Gregg M
there is a source for the brown skinned poona variety in Aust, so i might chase it up for next summer.

Thomas P
Sikkim cucumbers at three different stages of maturity. All taste good, and vines are very very productive this year :slight_smile:

Julia D
Did you notice much difference of disease resistance, or heat or cold tolerance between the different varieties?

Gregg M
I didn’t pay any attention to growth or yield, nor did I explicitly collect on any other characteristics. This project was a real afterthought when a vacant half bed became free in the middle of the season. They were on dripper tube, since the other stuff at the far end of the bed needed to be on dripper.
While the primary aim was to get a bit of mixed up seed so selection could take place in the next season, some proxy selection will have taken place. Direct seeding will favour those varieties that emerge well, and presumably the most vigorous will have out-competed the less vigorous in the same sowing hole.
Vigour and productivity will in part be determined by the seed collection - more fruitful varieties will contribute more seed to the mass crossed seed pool, and be more likely to be sown next season.

Next season I will be a bit harsher, tho La Nina means we will probably get a mild season. Might be a good mildew resistance selecting season!

Did Joseph suggest tasting leaves for bitter genes? Or did i read that elsewhere?
a

1 Like

Cucumber project
2022-06-09T07:00:00Z
It doesn’t look like much (yet), but I just planted 36 cucumber seeds in this mostly flame-weeded bed. There are 13 varieties, including a grex of 8 varieties, seeds of two varieties that I grew and saved a couple of years ago, one purchased heirloom variety, and two varieties donated by a friend, one of which is actually an Armenian cucumber, a totally different species that may or may not cross with the regular cukes. Can’t wait to see what will happen!

Cucumber project part 2
One week later, after a couple of rainy days, 11 of the 36 seeds have germinated, and 10 of them look healthy. The weeds have also come back in force! If I don’t get more germination in the next few days, I think I’ll try planting some more seeds just so I have more to work with.

20 cucumbers now germinated and all doing well. Planted another 16 seeds to replace the 16 that failed to germinate.

2022-07-14T07:00:00Z
Cucumbers (and weeds) are all doing well. After the second round of seeding, I now have 28 plants growing. Only the Armenian cucumber is flowering (see third picture). If the others don’t catch up, they won’t have a chance to cross-pollinate with it. Fortunately, it produces male and female flowers on each plant, so at least I should get some fruit from it.

Photo #3 - Armenian cuke with flowers. (At least I’m assuming it’s the Armenian cuke because the leaves are a different shape and it’s flowering ahead of the others.)

Two of the plants are now producing fruit! Both are delicious. I’ve marked one of each to let them grow to maturity on the vines; the others are getting eaten as fast as they appear. A few other plants now have tiny fruits as well.

Lots of leaves, not so much fruit

2022-10-01T07:00:00Z
It’s the end of the season already! From 28 plants of 13 varieties, I harvested 9 cucumbers for seed, and there are three or four more still ripening on the vines (see one below, on an almost-dead plant). We ate about 8 others (all good). That’s a pretty poor rate of production, even for a first-year landrace. I’m not sure how many of the plants produced fruit - I didn’t do a good enough job of keeping them separated, and they all got tangled up with each other. But it had to be close to 9, because the cucumbers I harvested were from all along the length of the bed.

The good thing is that this first selection was from a very stressful year, with two months of drought and heat followed by torrential rains. Also, a groundhog got into the garden and gnawed on the cucumber plants as well as lots of other vegetables. So at least I’ve got some drought-resistant (and groundhog-resistant) genes in there. We never got the fungal diseases that usually attack around the end of July; I’ll have to start selecting for resistance to those next year.

Anna M
it’s nice that only some of your major problems surfaced in the first year. If you’d had fungal pressure too, you might not have gotten anything. Looks like you got some lemon types and some green slicers. I’ve found the lemons are the most resilient in my climate. I harvested one that was almost a pound the other day!

Mash Z
Some of those that did best were more light-skinned than the cukes I usually grow, but I wouldn’t call any of them lemony, in terms of taste, anyway.

1 Like

Postscript on my cucumber project: I never got any Armenian cukes. The one “different” plant turned out to produce very strange-looking (almost pear shaped), crispy and delicious fruit. (I wish I had taken a picture of it.) But it was definitely a regular cucumber.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Creeping (tiny) Cucumbers