Endophytes for fruit trees

I am building a homestead in South central Kansas, US.

I have always had horrible luck with cherries, but I am now the lucky winner of the cherry lottery. Three seedlings came up, so far they have survived!

So I have an opinion question. I have an adult cherry, probably a sour cherry, in the yard right by the house. Since it has survived this long I assume it has the endophytes in the soil to help the baby cherries survive.

However, it has grown right in the path of the constant winds. I’m talking often 30+ mph, and no matter where they blow from (NW, S, or directly from the East) it gets the full blast.

Should I:

Plant the cherries under the older tree
Dig up soil from around the tree to inoculate another spot
Keep the trees protected and inoculate in pots

I would definitely lean toward the first, if it weren’t for the constant wind. I would lean strongly away from the last, again, if it weren’t for the constant wind.

Other possibilities?

1 Like

Congratulations! That’s very exciting!

I’d lean heavily towards the first option, too. Maybe that older tree will protect them from at least some of the wind. And if it’s nearby, it may teach those baby trees how to survive in your climate.

I would lean toward the second option. At least that’s what I think Dr White would recommend. But you could do both since you have three…

The second option is best. The first and third options aren’t bad either. Like most farming questions the answer is usually “it depends”. In your case, you know your situation best and can only make the move you can make with the time and resources you have.

Regardless of which option you choose, I would also consider using a compost tea made from material local to you to activate and awaken the microbiome. This is something you should be doing consistently and over time, for any tree that you want to thrive. It’s partially about fertilization but equally about the way the endophytic microbiology follows the pathway of nitrogen and into the plant as an inoculate.

One of the benefits of thinking in terms of endophytes is to know that they are already present.

Your job is simply to increase and activate what is already in your system.

Hope this helps!