Explanation of commenting system

This pasted text is from the Discourse New User Guide

Taking Part in Conversations

Replying

Press any composer Reply button to open the editor panel at the bottom of your browser. You can continue reading (and even search or navigate to different topics) while you compose your reply.

collapse-expand-editor

Discourse shows all posts in the order they are published. It does not make you chase down multiple threaded paths. However, it still gives you lots of ways to follow the context of conversations.

To reply to a specific post in a topic, clicking the grey Reply button at the end of each post and your reply is linked to that post.

• If your reply is the next one published after the post you are replying to, this will appear next in chronological order
  • If yours is NOT next, then two things happen after your post is published:
    • Your post will include a new link in its header with an image to show what this is ‘in reply to’ - clicking this link displays that previous post for context next to your reply
    • The original post includes a count of replies at the bottom - clicking this link displays the content of the replies

I really like the comment feature here, the timeline, etc. This definitely seems like a good fit

Thanks for all the amazing hard work @julia.dakin ! (Oh, you might want to capitalise the first letters in your name!) Sorry to read (on the other test site) that it was waking you up early in the mornings! It’s a really wonderful job you’re doing and I think the benefits will be very long lived :partying_face:

Do let me know if I can help out with anything in particular…

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but I read on Google Cloud Community that the individual user can specify in preferences whether to see the conversation as threaded or linear. Just wondering if Discourse has that capability.

Sorry I don’t know about that Debbie. And, welcome to the forum!

Thanks, Justin! Glad to be here.

1 Like

Seems this is not and will likely never be a feature

Thank you for following up on that! I had forgotten this conversation.

Anyone know why I can’t Comment here? Is that what the lock means?
I can’t be the only one who wants to Trade Seeds with Europeans tho can I?

As you participate more in the forums, and people interact favorably with your posts, you automatically gain additional permissions.

1 Like

Interesting System… Automatically gaining more permissions includes Interacting with Locked posts? Why would this one be locked for tho? Anyways Thanks for explaining Joseph!

One of the ongoing problems with online plant breeding forums is that people who don’t interact with the site, haven’t contributed to our work, and don’t understand what we value, often make posts that say something like."

Then, if they get them, they don’t plant them. Or if they plant them, then don’t return with grow reports. Therefore, to maximize the value of the seed swap for our members that grow the seed and breed the varieties, we limit participation in the seed swap threads to accounts that have shown ongoing interest in our work.

I don’t know the exact criteria for participation, but it will happen quickly for someone that interacts regularly with the site.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, That’s a really smart system. You guys really planned this out at GoingToSeed. Appreciate the thorough explanation!

1 Like