Fall Planted Maslin Update

I wanted to do a wheat/rye/barley plot similar to how Fukuoka describes how he planted rice by taking all the straw and plant matter off, planting and then covering it with the plant matter. Sorghum and weedy plants were growing on the plot from summer and it had a mix of wheat, radishes, barley, squash, fennel, and other plants from earlier in the year.

I planted a maslin of different barleys, including one that I have grown regularly here, a mix of wheat which included the survivors of the Lofthouse Grex I grew the previous year, some miscellaneous wheats and Aroostook rye from EFN. I have never had great success with rye because it seems to take a long time to mature but the Aroostook’s growth looks promising. Hopefully it is earlier.

While making furrows takes more time and I would rather surface sow, I have found that furrows help deter ants who are looking for a quick meal so I did it here. The ant problem is inconsistent with weather, season and location, even within our property, so I am still figuring out how to work with them.

The dates are on the photos if you hover over them with the most recent one being with the lovely ducks on the plot. The weeds and wild vetch have been feeding them regularly each day, as well as the snails and other insects they find in there. They don’t bother the grain plants much and tend to favor broad-leaf or legumes plants. They’re the best.

It is a bit hard to see the grain plants in the photos as they are still small. I am unsure how well it will work out but it is a move towards how I would like to plant grains in the future. The rye has done the best in terms of growth and tillering. The wheat second best and most of the barley died out. I think it does not like the weed pressure.

What are other people’s grain plots looking like?

5 Likes

Nice! This last fall I spread wheat, flax, and rye in a few spots. Currently it is still covered by 3’ or more of snow. :snowflake:

1 Like

That’s awesome. :slight_smile: Do you normally plant in fall and they get covered in snow or do you plant in spring? You have great weather for the grains drying down in summer. Utah was the first place I encountered feral rye. I was considering planting flax but wasn’t sure if it is freeze tolerant.

We haven’t had good luck with grains here so far, though we only seeded them fall of '21, last year, and this year. We have planted grains here almost exclusively by broadcast-and-let-it-be, which last season yielded one nice patch of sorghum from birdseed and a couple of barley plants. I threw barley everywhere - - you can do the math :sweat_smile:. My wife threw birdseed into one patch of grass. A lot of the barley I threw into bare patches of yard hoping/thinking I could both cover them and get some food. These must have made very easy pickings for critters.

Anyway, I’ve got a couple of pics of rye patches and what I hope will be a milpa with a maslin, and a picture of an empty patch to represent the several places I sowed rye that got grazed to death.

To the pics! :repeat::bat:

Above is an elderberry that received a generous sprinkling of rye, vetch, and daikon (hereafter rye+) in November. It is in the unfenced front yard. I put down a little compost, broadcast the mix, then composted over it. It germinated well and saw some grazing pressure. The pressure eventually did it in.

The plan with these patches was to help out some young shrubs and trees. I know there are plenty of people who advocate keeping young trees well weeded. I was coming at this from Gabe Brown’s policy of never planting perennials without first planting cover crops. When I read this in Dirt to Soil I thought, “Shoot, I didn’t think to plant cover crops before we planted these things!” Not too late, I thought. If it appeared to be stressing the trees overmuch, I could always terminate the cover crop early.

This is a garlic patch in the raised beds. The grain is Brundage winter wheat from a mix I scattered before my wife planted the garlic. You can see some enterprising garlic has decided “alright y’all, let’s go!!!” :seedling:.

There’s a lot more winter wheat in the raised beds. It’s all about this size.

This is the EFN grand prairie composite rye, late November or December planted. This is the whole packet (~90 seeds) in this little five foot stretch. I noticed critters digging up and eating some of the rye at the elderberry plantings, so because I have so little of “some of the best rye genetics in the world”, I both covered them in deeper compost on planting and, on multiple days typically separated by at least a week, poured urine to mark the border of the patch. They are also in the fenced backyard next to the raised beds, further from cover for rodents. The dogs, who are fond of grasses both edible and not, seem to leave these alone.

This is a December rye+ plantings bordering a fenced area which contains (sort of) our enormous Nanking and two unhappy rhododendrons. I believe there is some live daikon still here.

^^This is the most successful of the rye+ companion plantings for young trees and shrubs. The tree is a young pawpaw. I think you can see from the photo the rye has experienced intense grazing pressure. This is also not the first time this has happened to this planting. I ordered a packet of Siberian “cut and come again” rye from the EFN, but if any of this bunch makes seed we will have also made our own. “We” includes the critters of course :rabbit:

AFAIK the green blades with white stripes are precocious stars of Bethlehem. They started emerging in December this winter

This is what I hope in a few months time will be a thriving milpa, just planted on January 28th. Threw down seed and covered. There’s all kinds of stuff in there, both stuff that should or could germinate and grow in low temps like rye and barley, and stuff many would say I’m nuts for including, like sorghum and beans and peppers and squash. All I can say is it’s planted on a south facing slope (and also sort of a valley between the slope and the raised beds). Above the slope is a six foot privacy fence. I used primarily seed I have an abundance of, but also threw in some things that matter (like a little of the moschata grex).

This one gets regular marking around the border, and I run off critters I see in it. I often accompany this by putting down some sunflower seeds or birdseed in another part of the yard. I’m experimenting with not re-covering seed in compost when they are uncovered. Some of the uncovered seed has clearly been eaten as you can see from the hull remnants. On the other hand, the same seed mix in unmarked territory has been almost entirely devoured, while much of the seed in the marked milpa planting has been left alone so far.

To couch this planting in Fukuokan terms - - “How about not waiting until last frost? How about not sowing into the ground?” (Neither a question to put to him obviously.) “How about not making clay pellets?”

I do think the clay pellets are in the cards for us, I just need to make the investment to learn how.

Anyway, that’s a representative photographic sampling of our grains :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is my first year to plant in my garden. But neighbors plant in both fall and spring. I thought I would do both as well. We’ll see how they compare.

1 Like

I hope your rye plantings produce some seed! Are you north enough for perennial grains? I’m not very familiar with them but know perennial rye exists which maybe, if they become well established, they could better withstand grazing.

I love ducks! Mine ate my comfrey until it was dead(!) so they were exiled from the garden, but now I’m wondering if they’d be good grain weeders for corn etc.

I’ve recently learned that rye might be able to overwinter here (not the perennial, the usual biennial kind) but I’ve been struggling with ergot in my triticale and rye is supposed to be even more susceptible to it. Perennial grains are apparently even more susceptible.

Even so I’m eyeing the EFN Svedjerug rye, and considering putting it in a bonfire-cleared spot just to see what would happen. I don’t want to mess with ergot poisoning but it sounds like a good biomass maker, and it’s from a very similar climate.

Meanwhile I have my wheat mix, khorasan (so easy to thresh!), mochi barley, and a bunch of other grains waiting in the wings.

My ducks are free range for the entire day so I’m lucky they eat a little and move on. They love vetch. Our comfrey never survives the summers so I don’t have to worry about that. I do wonder why they ate yours to the ground? Calcium?

That’s awesome! Do you get enough to eat?

Prairie Garden Seeds is so cool. I wanted to make an order from them but its iffy with the border. There are similar seed companies in the US but nobody has the barley species zeocriton.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Landrace Ducks

I hope so too! Might try to take some small measures to protect them at this point and not feel I’m getting overly involved (and interfere less next gen).

Perennial grains is a great idea! I’ve given it some thought before and I’d guess some would work. I hadn’t realized what @Greenstorm shared about perennial ryes being more susceptible to ergot. Normally I’d be inclined to think “for better fungal resistance, intercrop with a light-natured, dry-natured, probably heating crop” but rye as far as I know is already all those things. I’ll have to try it out and see how things go

1 Like