Favorite recipes or ways to cook your produce?

I wonder if it’s flintier than the corn you grow? Usually I don’t associate A-shaped kernels (this is how I think of that shape) with flint corns, but I dunno.

Had my favorite squash yet from the garden this year. It was a blue pumpkin that tasted, not just sweet or nutty, but interestingly complex. It had fewer seeds well- formed than the others but I got almost two dozen for next year.

Simmered it in dashi stock, tossed in an egg to poach at the end. Excellent breakfast.

4 Likes

Dinner last night actually included okra! Frozen whole. It was:

Fill a casserole dish 1/3 with okra (maybe 2 cups?). Add a can of tomatoes canned this summer. Add half a can of dried uncooked pasta and just under a can of water. Mix so the pasta is under the water/veg. Chop up roughly 1/2 cup of feta cheese and sprinkle on top. Cover and bake at 300 for… an hour and a half? until the pasta has absorbed the water. Stir, eat.

I didn’t add any salt, pepper, or spices to this, though it would take hot peppers or olives nicely. I do salt my canned tomatoes, and the feta cheese is salty. Could use chunks of potatoes instead of the pasta, omit can of water. It might be fun with whole grain berries instead of pasta (rye would taste good? or barley) but would take more water and longer to cook.

2 Likes