Lacto ferments for flavour and storage

Turnip pickles: roughly 10kg of turnips into pickles: matchsticked them, put in a couple sliced beets for colour, filled the container maybe 1/6 full of 7% vinegar, and then added water to cover and salt at 3% of total weight including veg and vinegar (it’s a bit more complicated than that, I boiled the brine and poured it over warm, and some calculations needed to be made on that brine). This was the correct saltiness level but I made the mistake of pasteurizing them once they were in jars, when they went from crispy to soft. The next year I didn’t pasteurize, lost one jar to oxidation, and I think these are just single-year and maybe more like 10-month storage pickles, not multi-year ones.

Carrot/jalapeno/garlic pickles (mostly carrots), about 9kg, with a 6% brine poured over boiling (not total veg + water weight, just 6% brine). I’m using vacsealed bags of water for air exclusion in the gallon jars, then there’s an airlock on one and the waterlock fermentation crock as well. These kept in jars on my shelf after fermentation for 18 months, still crunchy, and they were ridiculously good.

I enjoy ferments and like anything with a cabbage base. My current fave is cabbage, onion, beetroot with harissa (chilli mostly) and amchur (dried green mango). It’s so tasty I end up eating it before the ferment really gets going! I don’t like it too salty but I just do it by taste. I don’t measure anything.

Oh yum, I eat amchur by the spoonful. Never thought to use it to boost the sour of sauerkraut!