Question: Seed Soaking - Bleach vs Hydrogen Peroxide

Gearing up to put some True Garlic Seeds in soil and wanted to hear from others who have grown it successfully. The guide on Garlicana’s website and/or the article written by Ted Meredith indicates that I should soak the garlic in a 1% bleach solution before cold stratification.

• In lieu of bleach (since we don’t have it on hand), would a hydrogen peroxide solution work?
  • If so, still 1% solution or…?

I haven’t been able to find any other recommendations/trials elsewhere that have given different/any growing instructions.

Thanks!

I believe that the “winter sowing” method, without sterilizing seed, provides the best garlic seed germination strategy.

Please view the course “How Microbes Help Local Adaptation”.

3 Likes

By “winter sowing” do you mean the milk carton method?

I’ve been working on finding wild alliums around these parts to use their soil with my garlic seed. I’m a huge fan of Dr. White’s work with endophytes. :slight_smile:

Any sort of cloche or cold-frame over fall planted seeds works great.

I prefer to plant them into weed-free soil that’s laying directly on the ground, then covered with some type of transparent covering like a milk-jug with the bottom cut off.

1 Like

Gotcha! I’ll try that out this fall and see how it goes next spring.

It seems like winter isn’t done with us yet where we are, so I might try planting them out like that now as well to see if anyone will sprout.

Thank you!

Garlic seeds lose viability quickly. I’d rather plant them now, and try for some germination with sub-optimal conditions, than try for perfect conditions with less viable seed.