Screen Source?

Does anyone have advice on where to get seed cleaning screens, such as a set like this now-sold-out one from SESE? Thanks!

Some of the local hardware stores sell these kinds of screens. They are commonly called ‘hardware cloth’, ‘window screen’, or fencing. They come in bulk rolls. Cut off however much you like.

I really like when the 1/2" and 1/4" are coated with plastic.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Good to know I can cut my own sizes…problem solved.

I’ve been using this set, but only for a month. It’s been a big help.

1 Like

Right on, yeah, these look handy for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Sean,
Happy to share this tip since you are unlikely to poach my sources :slight_smile: Try soils testing laboratories. They use nests of sieves for particle size analysis of soils, and since they have to certify their results, and screen holes wear slightly bigger and out of spec after shaking dirt and rocks in them, they regularly replace the old sieves when they don’t test true anymore. you might get them for free or for a produce donation to the lab manager.

1 Like

That’s a really good idea Gregg! The local university here is very agriculture-focused and I bet would have this exact situation going on.

1 Like

What is the purpose of cleaning the seeds, other than making them look presentable to purchasers? If you’re saving for your own use, is it necessary?

1 Like

It is my understanding that screening is for:

1. proper drying of seed. If there is organic material mixed in with seed, it could cause issues with preservation due to dampness (especially over the course of a couple years or so in hot humid areas)…and
  2. Yes, presentation for sharing
1 Like

Without some substantial amount of seed cleaning, it would be easy to save as much or more non-seed biomass when saving some seeds. Corn and beans are easy, and even wheat wasn’t too troubling. But with alliums and brassica (probably lots of things – I’m new at this) threshing and winnowing takes some real work and learning to get down to a reasonable amount of non-seed matter. That may be storage-volume problem depending on your scale. I have the sense that predator insects are more likely to hide among the chaff and ruin your winter-stored seeds, so getting them pretty clean helps with that. And I think it’s probably also easier to plant for people who’re more careful than I am if you don’t have a bunch of other crud as you pinch out seeds (though I could also see it being advantageous if you’re hand-broadcasting, like mixing with sand).

My own saved potato and tomato especially are fuzzy and grungy compared to what most people seem to do. I suspect I ferment longer and then don’t rinse as much and I certainly don’t use disinfectants. I could imagine that turning people off if I were trying to sell seeds.

1 Like

Don’t forget also:

1. Making sure the valuable space in our seed boxes (or anything else) is filled with seeds, and not bulked out with chaff.

That’s the very-important-to-me reason why I clean my seeds carefully.

Oh, and also:

1. If the seeds are edible and meant to be eaten (for instance, pulses and grains), effectively separating the seeds from the chaff is important to eat them.
2 Likes
1 Like