Serendipity Seed Swap!

Here’s what I’m intending to send in. If anyone has requests, and I have seeds, I’ll consider sending in a few more things. Mostly, over the past few years, I have been sending archive copies of my garden to seed companies, thus depleting most of my seed stash, except for personal amounts and backups. At the seed swap last week, someone walked off with my entire stash (a quart jar) of winter hardy kale. A lesson to me, that I should keep archives and backups, and not take my entire stash on the road with me.

These are things that I have plenty of seed for. Paradise Lettuce, Lofthouse parsnip, and RMSA barley are only currently available from this swap. I think that Lofthouse flour corn isn’t available elsewhere. The Mullein and perennial flax are local wild types.

6 Likes

Those look great!

I love how soft mullein leaves are. I’ve heard it can be used to make an herbal tea. Can the leaves be eating straight out, as well? Like as a cooked green?

2 Likes

The leaves of this species are really fibrous, and really hairy. I couldn’t eat them as a green.

There are other species without the hairs.

1 Like

Makes sense. I was wondering if the fuzziness would make them hard to eat as a green. I discovered last year that I like Lagenaria siceraria leaves just fine despite them being fuzzy, so I wondered if that would be true for mullein, too.

Oh, and I’m sorry to hear you lost all your winter hardy kale seeds. That stinks! It’s a good reminder to us all to keep archives and backups, I think.

Please add me to the list as well! - Casey H.

1 Like

I mailed mine to Emily yesterday!

Hulless pumpkin grex
Cilantro grex
Hungarian poppy seeds
and the Lofthouse Chia. (Lower left. Has a quite a few brown seeds, I think those seeds might not be viable, we’ll find out).

4 Likes

Where are you getting those fancy seed packets? How much do they cost?

1 Like

They were extra from the landrace seed share. @anna knows

The link Anna sent to Seed Stewards last November was Kraft Backed Compostable Hanging Zipper Barrier Bags | 3 5/8” x 5” | 100 Pack | HZBBE4KC

If the seed train needs fancy packets, I could send some in.

1 Like

Those are beautiful! I’ve got my seeds ready to go, too. Here are some pictures!

IMG_2503

Close-ups, so you can see some of them a bit more easily:
IMG_2504

IMG_2505

I have the seeds from Joseph now, so I’m just waiting on the ones from Julia. Once they’re here, the box shall go forth to its Christopher destination! :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t think we need fancy packets for this. It’s easier to let people use whatever they want to put new seeds in. If people want to use fancy packets, that’s totally fine. If they want to use something else they have on hand too, that’s great.

I labeled most of my bags with a slip of paper inside, rather than a sticky label on the outside. I did this to make it very easy to reuse the bags, if desired. They also all have ziploc tops, in order to make it easy to take seeds out. I’m thinking those should do well for the seed train. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see what will go in in the future! For one thing, it’s really fun to see all the different shapes and colors of different species’ seeds.

1 Like

Not my chia. It just grew on my farm for a year or two. I think that it’s Tarajumara.

1 Like

I hope I’m not late to the party. Count me in!

This will hopefully be ongoing for a very long time, so there is no “too late”! :wink: You’re in!

3 Likes

1 Like

This was boat-loads of fun! Thanks to the early contributors for getting together a delightful mix of goodies.

This is how it arrived:

This is most of what I decided to add:

I was going to image what I took, but that ended up not being practical as I was smidging a little out of a bag directly into my own grex-jars and stuff. But I only took the entire sample of two or three things so it doesn’t much matter.

And this is all 61+ things laid out as it leaves my care:

I’d be interested in receiving this again as a second round after it visits everyone else and goes back to Emily.

4 Likes

I have A LOT of chilacoyata (fig leaved gourd) (a half gallon of seed) that I’d love to share but that weren’t ready when I sent the other seeds to Emily. They are seeds I got from Joseph at a Utah seed exchange, and produced no problem in a cold summer, which I gather is a little surprising for this species. I’d be happy to put a bag of them in the mail to wherever this package will arrive next if people want some of these. Flesh might not be that useful but I love snacking on the seeds! I’ll grow these again next year just for eating the seeds.

1 Like

I’m so excited! Are people just messaging their address to the person previous to them in the list ?

1 Like

I PMed mine to Emily when she asked for it and then asked Lauren for hers earlier today, so yeah, basically.

1 Like