Spinach, Fava, and Kale 8b 2023

I finally made time to get some crops seeded. I seeded out fava beans, kale, and spinach. It was pretty straight forward after some bed prep and weeding I direct seeded these cool weather crops. There will be plenty of moisture for them over the next week it a generally warming trend. I will probably update back to this post throughout the winter, spring, and summer.

4 Likes

Great! So curious to see your results! Keep us posted !

We have germination off all three crops underway.
Looks like three weeks.

3 Likes

1 Like

It appears to be a good selection year for spinach. Despite excellent germination few survived early slug damage. Growth is picking up and a spotty line has emerged.

Favas are progressing well. Some insect damage and beneficial presence. Half the row is saved seed, and half G2S seed. Saved seed is taller than the new seed.

Kale is progressing exceptionally. There appears to be a lot of red Russian and some White Russian “types”.

Spinach is off to seed

Broad beans showing up now

1 Like

Fava bean completion

3 Likes

Only five plants survived, but it appears I have some spinach seeds after it all.

1 Like

The kale plants are the last project remaining. T hey haven’t gone to seed yet, but all are still growing. They seem to all have been affected by flea beetle. They are all mostly the same height.

1 Like

Very interesting range of colors!

1 Like

and very different from the colors of your seeds as posted in march …

1 Like

Yes! So different! I love the pink tinge! This variation didn’t shop up in mine!

1 Like

I did plant half the bed in going to seed and half in Ianto s return from adaptive. Also mixed in some saved Windsor Broadbeans . It seems most did well this year even though I planted later in the season than normal.

1 Like