BBF Runner Bean Landrace

Note: this first long post in this thread was brought over from the old forum which is why it is an agglomeration of multiple posts.

We grow runners for the dry seed but our summers are often too hot with temps above 28°C (~80°F). From what I’ve read, runners have difficulty setting pods when temps go above 25°C. They also aren’t fond of dryness and although summer is our wet time, in between rain events it’s quite dry. So, we thought we’d plant as many varieties as we could find and see what happens. This year we planted Dutch White, Painted Lady, Scarlet Emperor, Sunset Runner, White Lady and a runner from Mexico. We’ll collect seed from the plants where varieties are next to each other for planting next season. We are also interested in its perenniality so at some point we’d select for strong perenniality. I’m thinking also that a cross into the common bean would be worth while to improve heat tolerance. That may be difficult though. I looked quite a few times for pollen in the runner flowers but found none that I could identify. I wish they were like peas. Peas produce gobs of pollen.

Kevin C
I also have tried runner beans in my garden with no luck. They never get big they make some flowers but never set pods and I guess that is because our 100°F + temperatures during the summer. I might need to tap into a larger genetic pool to get some success. Looking forward to hearing more about your project.

Greenie
It speaks to how limited my gardening experience is that until a couple years ago it never occurred to me that it could be too hot for plants, instead of just too cold. I’ve always thought of beans generally as a hot weather crop but now think I should look into them. I have fond memories of eating the flowers as a kid.

Lauren Ritz
Keep us updated on your progress. I would personally be interested in this one.

Tanja E
This is great! I have runner beans as my landrace project too, and my summer temperature is closer to 35 than 25, so I planted as many varieties as I could find and hope for a few pods to get it started :wink:
My winters are mild here, so I expect the perenniality to come through here and hopefully produce a crop in late spring next year before summer temperatures get too high.
I would love to swap experiences and seeds with you along they way.

Ray S
I live at about 1000m above sea level on the eastern side of the country (at 30°S latitude) with an average annual rainfall of 750mm. Summers are warm (30°C+ usually, though not this one!) and wet and winters are quite cool (many nights below 0°C and days in the mid teens) and usually dry. Spring and autumn are quite short. We have have about 150 frost free growing days). The farm is small by Australian standards at 16h (~40acres). The soil is clay loam but devoid of organic matter as it was grazed to death over many years. Once it’s mulched regularly it starts to improve and after 3 or 4 years things grow quite well.

Tanja E
Our summers are a little more extreme here with dry, hot weather up to 35 C and winters mild and rainy with temperatures around 8 C but it can get down to -1 C a few times in february.
The rainfall is around 402 mm per year, but it falls mostly in october/november and march/april.
We have heavy clay soil.
In Mallorca september is considered the second spring rather than autumn as winter is so mild, so we have 2 growing seasons.

Erin D
I just learned that runner beans can develop tubers. Have you (or anyone else in this thread) experienced that? I imagine it would relate to perenniality.

Ray S
The tubers grow pretty close to the surface, at least the ones I’ve seen do. Perhaps the seeds need to be planted quite deep so that the tubers are deep. I must try that next season. Although the ground doesn’t freeze here in winter we do get many frosty nights and anything that close to the surface does suffer.

Greenie
I came across Sunset described as having particularly showy and attractive flowers; did you find this to be the case?
I’m looking forward to seeing how your batch feels about winter!

Ray S
Sunset, at least the ones I grew here, have lovely salmon pink flowers. The seeds are indistinguishable from Scarlet Emperor being black and purple.
Painted Lady is lovely too with brown and white speckled seeds and two-tone red and white flowers.
The rest it seems have either red or white flowers. A British grower is likely to have access to a wide range of runners as they are very popular in the UK.

Very mixed results in terms of yield in this the first season of the landrace project. I don’t put too much store in this as the seeds were of various ages although I must say that the variety Dutch White yielded way more than any of the others.
Anyway, here are some of the beans harvested:

1 Like

It’s almost the summer solstice here (21st Dec) and it’s still very cool at night. In fact, we’ve had frost three days in a row. Luckily for the runner beans which are reshooting from the tubers they formed last season the beds they are in are full of various brassicas which have afforded some protection.
Of the six varieties we sowed last year four have resurfaced so far. If I can manage it, I’d like to cross them but beans are difficult, at least for me. Worth a shot though.

2 Likes

Runner beans from what I understand are supposed to be easily crossed, not at all like common beans in that regard. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen that happen in my garden. I’ve grown them and saved seed for many years, but they have not gotten any more productive for me than they ever were.

I also can’t see, although the books say they will, any evidence that they have crossed. And what really bums me out is it doesn’t matter how many different ones I plant I almost never get back any except brown mottled and bluish/purple ones. The black, white and others I’ve planted never produced more than a bean or two and none at all the following season.

They are massive vines with beautiful flowers that the hummingbirds love so I keep growing them. One time I was gifted some F1 seed of a runner/common cross. They had even more massive vines and flowers but were even less productive. The F2 might have had some chance of improvement but I didn’t have the space and patience to mess with it, so I gave those seeds away. I never did hear back how they turned out.

1 Like

I shared seed from a regional “heirloom” variety for the seed exchange. It’s semi-bush, truly hypocotyl runner bean, that grows and produces a crop in our high desert (highs 95F/35C) under minimal drip irrigation. It actually seemed to hate our nice monsoon season this year. I’m looking forward to planting a mix next year.

3 Likes

I’m working on a runner bean landrace too. 3 yrs in now. I think I have about 10-12 varieties in it. I add them as I find new ones. My summers get quite hot here 30+ degrees (canada) and my beans make lots of pods. I’m not entirely sure if they’ve actually crossed - lol. I tried hand pollinating a bit but those beans never seemed to develop. Unfortunately they are not perennial where I am (4b) which I would love. I just love this plant soooo much though! My kids and I love the treasure hunt in the fall when we shell the pods and discover all the dif colours! I’m excited to add the Going to Seed runner bean grex to my landrace this year!

@SeedBitch I’m guessing that the reason your runners aren’t perennial is because your ground freezes solid and kills the tubers. Although the ground doesn’t freeze here we get plenty of sub zero (celsius) nights which destroys the tubers if they are too close to the surface. We’re experimenting with deep mulch winter cover and/or sowing the seeds about 10cm deep. They could probably go deeper as the seeds are large and would have enough energy to push up.

1 Like

Someone gave us a few seeds of a runner/borlotto bean cross. The beans were large, like runners, but with a borlotto type seed coat. They exhibited hypogeal germination (cotyledons stayed underground) just like runners and are all climbers. They also have the long multi-flower inflorescences of the runner. Of the two just coming into flower one has red flowers and the other white so they must be at least F2. Curious to see the pods and even more curious to know if they develop a tuber.

1 Like

An update:
I haven’t attempted a cross between the return varieties. Too daunting! Honey bees are working the flowers so hopefully they will have spread some pollen around.
I forgot to mention the four returners: Dutch White, Painted Lady (my favourite), Sunset Runner and White Lady. We’ll replant seeds from these and select again for perenniality. The two that selected themselves out were Scarlet Emperor and a dusky orange seeded variety from Mexico with no name (see the pic above to get an idea of colour). I think I still have some seeds of the Mexican runner bean. If anyone wants them just holler.
The borlotto/runner cross has so far produced absolutely zip. Plenty of flowers but no pods!

1 Like

That’s unfortunate about the borlotto/runner cross being all flowers and no pods. Maybe they’ll make pods later. I hope you’re able to get some crosses out of the returners!

1 Like

The borlotto/runner cross did make pods but very late. We had our first frost two nights ago, very early for us. Fortunately it was extremely light and caused minimal damage, just the corn leaves in fact. Fingers crossed for the crosses.
The pods on the runners are beginning to dry down so we’ll get at least some seed this season. The ones from the plants that regrew from tubers will be saved for planting as part of our bid to re-establish strong perenniality.
The honey bee seems quite attracted to runner flowers but watching them suggests to me that their activities are not likely to result in crosses as they attack the flowers laterally to extract nectar. I have never seen any of our native buzz pollinators working runner flowers and there are no bumblebees on the Australian mainland, at least not yet. Having watched a few videos now on crossing beans I’m feeling more confident so next season I will attempt as many crosses as I can.

1 Like

Harvest to date of beans from plants that regrew from tubers. These, or at least some of these will be sown next season as we attempt to promote perenniality.

The borlotto/runner cross plants did manage to ripen a few pods. Some are white seeded, others have the borlotto markings but are pale pink and red rather than the usual borlotto tan and reddish brown. I’m hopeful that a few more will ripen before the heavy frosts do them in.

7 Likes

Ooh, those speckled ones are so pretty! I normally find white a bit boring, but the two types together look so beautiful.

1 Like

Here are some of the beans from the borlotti/runner cross. Just for info, I was given a few seeds of this cross by a friend. Those seeds looked like large borlotti beans, classic borlotti colouring and markings. Four of these germinated producing two plants with white flowers and two plants with red flowers. Segregation had begun. Now, at bean harvest time I am getting white beans and pink/purple beans with dark flecks, markings very like the borlotti parent, though not the colouring. Looking forward to the next generation.

2 Likes

I love how pretty they are!

1 Like

I’ve been really excited on hearing about the runner x common crosses you and Joseph have made or stewarded. Since I thought I remembered podset and maybe growth being poor for Joseph’s (or maybe it was even culled by a “helpful” relative?), I’m even more excited on seeing some yield. I’m looking forward to providing supportive conditions for this cross to possibly happen naturally this season.

Can I ask how they yielded compared to either parent, and what plants were close enough to be donors?

Yeah, I’m excited for the same reason. It seems to me that a cross between those two species may be able to yield a plant with big and pretty flowers, big and pretty beans (that are hopefully delicious and have their own unique flavors), and greater weather adaptability.

I wonder, is it possible to cross runner beans with teparies, or cowpeas? It would be very interesting to see if that cross could produce a plant with big, tasty beans and drought tolerance.

That picture just yells “easter eggs” to me at the moment

1 Like

@UnicornEmily A cross between a runner and a tepary might work. They’re the same genus at least. A runner cowpea cross would be really pushing the envelope. If you’ve got the time and the patience it might be worth a shot.
@H.B The plants were in a garden with bush beans at their feet and another runner on the same trellis but about 30cm (1ft) further along. They were planted very late as we had a very cold and wet start to spring with frosts right up to the day before the summer solstice. The yield was poor for the white flowered plants but a little better for the red flowered plants, still not great though. I can’t compare the yield with either parent because I was given the F1 seeds. I didn’t do the cross myself. They’ll all get sown next season with hopefully better growing conditions though the weather boffins are suggesting drought in the medium term!

1 Like

Oh, good point, I’d forgotten cowpeas are in the Vigna genus! Cool, I’ll have to try a tepary cross sometime, then. (Maybe this year, if I get around to it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

These are beautiful! I’m also looking forward to seeing the next generations!