Current webinar - Selecting High-Quality Breeding Material

I have more time to research than plant, but here is a webinar that is taking place over the next month or so. I have missed their live airing, so I haven’t vetted them. This channel usually has good discussions though.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. Do you have the schedule and or link for the rest of series?

1 Like
1 Like

6 am Eastern Australia - that’s possible. pity I’ve missed the early ones tho.

They usually have the recordings up in about a week after the live show. Can work on summaries in a few days.

I watched the first two sessions and joined in for the third. In a very small nutshell:

1- Is about, if you want to breed a new variety, how to decide what you want to do an, traits you are after and so on and accumulating your starting varieties.

2- Basically about not stepping on any one’s toes as far as intellectual property rights, patents, PVPs and so on and keeping very good records to prove you didn’t.

3-About diseases and steps to ensure any seed you release are free from it. Talks mostly about tomatoes, identifying disease, sterilizing seed and so on. Not really my cup of tea except it does make me wonder about sharing my seeds too freely as I suspect they could have diseases and even if they are tolerant themselves, they could introduce same to someone else’s other varieties. Interesting part about contact vs systemic infection. One being the disease is just on the seeds and the other it’s inside the seeds. I suspect that beneficial endophytes would likely follow those same categories.

Overall, I think the series is directed towards people breeding for the commercial seed market.

2 Likes