"Done by Equinox" Direct-Seed Northern Squash Project

The first year seemed like it went so well. I’d planted several types of squash (c maxima) on my richest south-facing slope. The pigs had overwintered in there, it had been tilled, and it was the warmest microclimate in my Northern BC property where the only squash you could ripen outdoors was, occasionally, (ugh) spaghetti squash. I do not like spaghetti squash and I didn’t have money to devote to a greenhouse, so I did a variety trial.

I was expecting to get crossing and save seeds from this first year. I wasn’t sure what I’d get to ripen, but I didn’t expect much. The varieties I chose, I chose based on three factors: earliness (my whole season is roughly 90 days), storage quality, and flavour/texture (I like flaky kabocha types and I strongly dislike spaghetti squash). No variety had to have all of these, but they had to impress me with at least one.

I planted the following:

Algonquin pumpkin/Heritage Harvest Seeds
Blue kuri/Adaptive Seeds
Burgess buttercup/Heritage Harvest Seeds
Candystick dessert delicata/Adaptive Seeds (yes, this is a pepo so it wouldn’t cross, I was just curious)
Gold nugget/Heritage Harvest Seeds (I had grown this previously with some success, it’s very very short season but tiny and not flavourful)
Little gem red kuri/Adaptive Seeds
Lofthouse landrace/Experimental Farm Network (I suspect this was actually Lofthouse Buttercup based on how they turned out)
Lower salmon river/Annapolis Seeds
Potimarron/Adaptive Seeds (this was an old favourite of mine)
Red kuri/Annapolis Seeds
Sundream/Bird & bee (this is a dehybridized Sunshine; Sunshine is grown down the valley from me)
Sweet mama/William Dam Seed (Earliest days-to-maturity of any I found)
Winter sweet meat/Annapolis Seeds
North Georgia Candy Roaster/Heritage Harvest Seeds
Gete Oksomin/Prairie Garden Seeds

I sowed seeds indoors and transplanted outdoors in June into my heavy clay. I planted 4-6 of each type and kept them labeled, but planted them relatively close to each other for cross-pollination. I was expecting that there would be heavy selection for growth in my cool days and honestly quite cold nights, but that’s not what happened at all.

After a spring/early summer with very cool nights (generally below 10C) we had a weather phenomenon known as the “heat dome” over the summer. My area got up to the mid-thirties celsius, which is unheard of. I watered once a week, but some plants were outside where I could water died.

Several plants set and more-or-less ripened fruit which I harvested in early September, fairly typical for our area. My notes were as follows:

North Georgia Candy Roaster was the most prolific.

Red kuri and sundream were pretty good, sundream maybe a touch earlier?

Burgess buttercup had nice large squash and were good and early.

The lofthouse squash produced excellent small-sized squash that ripened ok, but not many per vine.

Gete Oksomin did several squash, I’m curious about how they cross pollinated or not with all the others.

Potimarron only did a couple but was in some shade.

Little gem did well.

Candystick delicata, algonquin pumpkin, sweet mama, and blue kuri didn’t produce but they weren’t in the main patch so who knows.

Gold nugget did great in the corn patch and produced a bunch of tiny ones.

Sweet meat produced 2 squash and I don’t know how ripe they are, we’ll see how they go. Pretty squash though.

I harvested the fruit and stored them. Pretty exciting, right?!

I wanted to store things awhile before I pulled seed out of them, to test for storage ability. I was dreaming about a landrace that combined the flavour of the fabled Lofthouse buttercups, the productivity and sprawl (I have lots of land, sprawl is good) of North Georgia Candy Roaster, the colours and texture of Kuris.

When I opened up the squash, I found no seeds.

I opened squash after squash and tasted them: the Lofthouse squash were so delicious I ate them raw.

They had husks, shells of seeds, but there was nothing inside the seeds. I was devastated. I looked around and all I could find was that maybe it had been too hot or dry for proper seed formation-- or maybe too hot and too cold both, in alternating bands.

I opened squash after squash and found no seeds over and over. It was the saddest thing.

Until, my notes read:

*I found seeds in two squash! One, Red Kuri from Annapolis seeds, was stuffed with thick super viable-seeming seeds. The other, a Burgess Buttercup from Heritage Harvest, had mostly empty seeds but there are a couple that feel like there’s something in there. Both of them were on the edge of my intermittent irrigation and outside the main patch, buried in weeds. I wonder if the pollinators stuck to the weeds? If the weeds provided a buffer for the heat/cool day/night cycle so stressed the plants less (though the plants didn’t look all that much better, honestly)? Something about irrigating with cold water?

The two I was pretty sure would give me seed because the variety always ripens here (Gold Nugget), did not, exactly; they gave me transparent pouches the shape of a seed with about 1/4 of the germ end full of a truncated-looking but plump seed. I will try and sprout them to see what happens, but it’s very weird. The opaque seed inside clear pouch is a small triangle, as if the seed had been sliced across a little bit past the germ.*

So my first variety trial ended with some frustration, but a little bit of hope, too, that maybe the handful of seeds I had were nicely crossed.

6 Likes

This is like a gripping novel. So heartbreaking! I can’t wait to hear part 2 for 2022.

4 Likes

This year started out with a serious shake-up. I was going to be moving down south, to a much different (but still cool) climate. I’d have access to more land, and to equipment to plough! It would have a longer season but much more disease pressure, especially fungal pressure. I bought seed and made up a careful seed mix and readied it until I could get onto the new property and put it in the soil; I sent it down to my co-gardeners there to put in June 1st.

Mid-May came along and it seemed like maybe I wouldn’t be moving until fall? If I was selling the property it might as well have a garden on it to look nice. So I banged some random seed from my collection into flats at the end of May, barely two weeks before I’d expect the last frost. This was super late planting, something no one did here, and it was definitely living dangerously. I barely even recorded anything about it in the spreadsheet, I just scribbled on the back of the envelope, and didn’t label anything.There was Latah and a random Vesey(?) packet of “fun shaped squash” and Nanticoke and Lofthouse Maxima and Desert Spirit landraces and my tried-and-true-but-awful Gold Nugget and some potimarron and kuri and sundream and sunshine and some hybrid hubbards of various colours and bunches of stuff I’d tried the year before, hanging out as remnants in my seed drawer. Somehow I don’t remember if I planted my saved seeds from 2021. I wasn’t plannning to be around for harvest, after all. This was just for fun.

Things grew, despite my lack of records. On June 1st they were up!

2022-06-01T07:00:00Z

2022-07-09T07:00:00Z

Life happened, I had to wait for a rototiller, I stepped on a nail and couldn’t till as fast as I’d hoped. The plants didn’t get in the ground until July, put on a nice surprisingly sandy field the pigs had cleared for me the year before. It was a very very cold spring.

By early the end of June it was becoming increasingly evident I was not going to move. This garden was my landrace for the year. If I had planted any squash from the year before I hadn’t marked them and had no idea which plants they were, so I wasn’t carrying along my landrace breeding goals at all. I had planted ridiculous things that had none of the traits I was looking for. It was a cold spring and things were barely growing. Maybe it didn’t matter anyhow, it was getting late and we get our frosts in September so it was unlikely anything was going to ripen. The crows and ravens had eaten most of my corn trial.

In despair I dropped the rest of the random squash seed mix into the ground in a barely-cleared field with a bit of a south slope, a couple inches of organic soil over clay and some underground seepage that had kept it too wet to plant until then, which had been corn until the crows ate it all. I ignored it and focused on my corn.

By the first week in July the plants were still pretty small.

As the season went on the squash did nothing. Mid-July and the vines weren’t even vining yet. The seeds popped out of the soil. Some had the most gigantic imaginable cotyledons, which caught my attention, but because nothing was labelled I couldn’t even guess which ones they were. I did not mark those ones, even though they were super neat.

My corn grew.

My tomatoes grew.

My melons, which were not supposed to be able to grow within a thousand kilometers of here, set fruit

My squash did nothing.

2022-08-19T07:00:00Z
Until sometime in early August there were flowers. This wasn’t really relevant, the squash had a month or less, so I kept ignoring them. By mid-August there were nice midsized squash in a bunch of weird shapes and colours. Most of my surviving corn was declining to form ears, so I switched my hope onto the squash. Nothing was going to ripen, of course, but maybe I could get a couple seeds…? I had over a hundred plants, maybe 5x as many as last year, if I could ripen the oldest few indoors maybe some would have viable seeds…?

2022-08-28T07:00:00Z
At the end of August I started picking and eating all the youngest squash, leaving a couple to ripen on each plant. I hadn’t bothered to plant any zucchini but that was fine, actually, these were tasty and they pickled well too.

Yum. At least I got something out of the garden.

2022-09-06T07:00:00Z
But, as happens, suddenly time was up and it was about to snow. The squash were buried in the corn, they hadn’t really been watered much, it had been a couple weeks since I looked at them, but I might as well bring them in, right?

I headed out after work expecting to search for a couple ripe squash under all the leaves. There was one! And another! …actually maybe there were a bunch? Even on the ones direct-seeded two months before? They didn’t all have super hard skins, but some were pretty firm in resisting a fingernail.

And there were crates of them! I was out there with my headlamp into the night, and then again the next evening, loading squash into crates and hauling them in. Big squash, little squash, curvy squash, round squash, football-shaped squash with and without belly buttons. Blue, white, orange, green, stripey, and sploched.

They were beautiful.

I put them on the shelf, hoping many would harden into nice storage-friendly rinds instead of rotting in the now-30C-woodstove-room that was the only space they had in the house.

I could recognise a couple. Sundream/sunshine and Gold Nugget I had grown before, a couple blue-green and white hybrids looked like seed packets I thought I’d included, and the distinctive football shape seemed like it echoed the Lofthouse Maxima and Desert Spirit grexes a bit?

If you recognise anything let me know!

But, there the squash sat until at least midwinter, when the tasting began.

(to be continued…)

8 Likes

Seriously, who needs movies when you have the seasonal cliffhangers of gardening?

3 Likes

I know, right? The emotional ups and downs are a roller coaster! And those moments of triumph, especially in unexpected places or in unexpected ways, are so glorious.

2 Likes

I dont think growing transplants helps much in cucurbits. I have seen at most maybe one week difference if grown in same conditions. It’s easy to direct seed sometime before it’s even possible to transplant because of bigger transplant shock and direct seeded plants also grow a lot faster. Also you get better selection pressure if you just direct seed. Stronger transplants might be strong for wrong reasons, especially if they have been grown indoors. Personally I dont have trouble with late frost, just generally cool conditions that slow growth when I sow them in late may, even with little help from plastic mulch and cloth (which for squash is mainly because of crows). I sprout them indoors 2-3 days (because every day counts), but still they take 7-10days to come up. So I think you could sow week before your last expected frost date, or date after which you almost never get frost. I think you could expect squash to flower 2 months from sowing even in cooler season and 1 month to have viable seeds so there should be enough time for getting seeds reliably. Warmer years quite easily, although steady warmth is better than huge fluctuations. Highest temperatures might slow down growth as much as very coolest. Also drought has huge impact on speed of growth. Personally I haven’t noticed much difference in growth as long as day temperatures get little over +15 and it’s atleast little bit sunny. As to your problem with having no seeds, I think I have only had it with slow growth and they didn’t have enough time. But that could be drought with heat or cool weather (or both). Also transplants tend to have more trouble with extreme conditions if they are not fully established. With pollination issues you would usually get deformed or aborted fruits (I do get quite few that are aborted). Possible that there is still some issue related to conditions, maybe not only with pollination, but formation of the seeds. For me candy roaster doesn’t make lot of seeds even if fruits are fully devoloped. seeds are full, actually too full for some reason and often cracked so they haven’t been viable. It also hasn’t made many male flowers and those dont have lot of pollen. So maybe that has some issue regarding what it has been pollinated with (just a guess). Luckily my brother grew out from one normal round pumpkin that I had given to him that was obviously pollinated with candy roaster so I will get candy roaster in my mix. It was funny how it was so clear that it was a cross and couldn’t be anything else than candy roaster. It was mostly round with slighly pointed end that had same blue/green coloration at the end as candy roaster. For my brother it was just another round pumpkin, but when he send picture to me I replied to save as many seeds for me.

2 Likes

Two very nice squashes lately: a football-shaped one that was lightly sweet and nutty raw, would be very nice on a raw veggie platter with dip, and a blue pumpkin that’s both sweet and somewhat complex, but not overly sweet. Saving all the seeds anyhow, plus the little fast gold nugget squashes with the hope they crossed lots.

30 squash left to go.

7 Likes

I love this story and i cant wait for the next installment! I think your story really proves to me that the philosophy of planting a lot at many times, many spots, and with many seeds and then letting the plants go, can be more successful than planting some seeds carefully and uniformly and trying to make sure nothing goes wrong. And what fun to discover at the end of the season!

I’d also love to hear if more squash proved tasty and had seed. I feel like the “STUN” method plantings can be the most exciting. On one hand you know you planted tons and that there was plenty of losses along the way. But without hovering over them and constantly seeing the losses and how far behind you worry they are… You start looking close to harvest time and suddenly there is all this stuff that actually did stuff and you didn’t have anxiety over it all growing season.

I’m planting absolutely tons of squash this year. I hope that the huge amount of bulk saved seed will let me do a major growout with little worry about getting fruits that will progress the breeding.

5 Likes

Loved reading your story! And I hope you will find time to share if there were other tasty or otherwise exciting squash you stored. Looking forward to hearing more!

Love reading about your squash, and all the great pics too.

1 Like

Your squash made it here!

Excellent news. I hope it’s still early enough for some to be sown.

It sure is, all the summer stuff is going in this week.

1 Like